4495e1322f9e4c2ea4c3901c8d5af5ad

Tuesday 1 July 2008

How and Why and When??

One of my favourite movies is 'Gattaca' where the world is devided into the super-elite, and the rest make up the 'degenerates'. But isn't this what the world is like right now, due to our own human nature?

When I started this journey, I believed that with hard work, honest opinions on which property market was set to boom (or not), and to provide the level of service that would set us apart from the rest would push Horizon into the 'super-elite'. And the truth is, I still firmly believe that we are capable of this :) It's just gonna take a little time...........

My business partner, Francois de Wet and myself completed our financial statements of our first year of incorporation. And although 'things can only improve' (Thanks for that, Francois :), I'm sure that things will go from strength to strength.

So let's get to the 'How' ?:

In his book 'How to get Rich', Felix Dennis says that the reason to get rich is not only to enjoy the benefit of what money can buy, but to be able to enjoy 'Time'. Now this might seem a tad strange for someone as wealthy as himself, but please bear with me........

Time allows us to enjoy life by providing us with no constraints to do so. Make sense? :)

And now the 'Why' ?:

I get asked this question very often and it always surprises me. Why do you work so hard? Why do you want to own your own company when you already have a day-job? Why would you succeed when so many have failed?

The answer is simple really: I have been given every opportunity to succeed in life........So what is my excuse when I do not?

And last but probably the most important question, 'When'?

In Horizon's business partnership, I am the impulsive / not tomorrow but today / sales type person. I want it NOW !! But then I have Francois who quietens things down and looks at the world with a quite perspective.

So if I may, I'll compare the answer to the Lottery (which I don't believe in, but that's another story altogether........) It is a proven fact that 90% of people who win the lottery will lose ALL of it within 5 years. The reason for this is because they were entrusted with 'too much too fast' and with no discipline to manage rather than spend..............it'll just be a waste.

To conclude, our little venture may be taking its time to go forth and conquer. But 'A journey of a thousand miles, starts with the first step'.

No comments: